Undergraduate Research Scholars Program Application Instructions
Answer all questions and submit the following. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For text enteres into the MyUCLA survey/application, DO NOT use symbols, Greek letters (α, β, γ, etc), italicized or boldface words in your online submitted abstract; the online submission system being used does not support them. Symbols and Greek letters will appear as empty boxes, italicized and boldface words will be formatted incorrectly.
Previous Research Statement:
- The Previous Research Statement should be a brief summary of your research experiences (SRP, 199, etc). Include the faculty mentor, quarter/year of your involvement and, if applicable, the course number. It must be at least 100, but no more than 1575 characters (including spaces).
- Provide an informative title for your proposed research project
- Describe your proposed research project. Please include an introduction, hypothesis, materials & methods and expected results. Must be at least 100, but no more than 3500 characters (including spaces and references, if necessary).
- The introduction should provide sufficient background information such that a scientifically literate reader can understand and appreciate the experiments to be described.
- For the hypothesis, please describe the question you will be addressing or the hypothesis that your work will test.
- In the materials and methods, briefly describe the tasks you will be performing includ`ing laboratory techniques you will be learning or applying to address your hypothesis. Share the kind of data will you be collecting (if applicable).
- The expected results should explain the predicted outcomes based on your hypothesis and experimental methods.
The Academic Plan is a list of the classes you plan to take in your upcoming year(s).
- Please list the classes by quarter (Winter '19, Spring '19, and if applicable, Summer '19, Fall '19, Winter '20 and Spring '20).
Letter of Recommendation:
Dr. Patricia Turner
Office of the Provost and Deans
College of Letters and Science
It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the faculty letter is received by Dean Turner's office by the deadline. Please be sure to contact your faculty mentor EARLY to ensure that the letter is submitted on time on your behalf.
Please be sure to begin the application submission process in advance. We suggest that you plan to complete your application by 11:00pm to account for any unexpected delays when submitting. Any applications still in progress at midnight will be shut-out of the system. If you have problems submitting your materials, contact: email@example.com
***IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID IMPLICATIONS***
Only applicable if you are currently receiving financial aid:
The Undergraduate Research Scholarship will be part of your overall financial aid package. This means that if you receive an award, the Financial Aid office will adjust your financial aid package to ensure that you do not exceed your financial aid eligibility. If such an adjustment is made, loans and work-study award are reduced first, prior to grant or other scholarship reductions.