Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP)
The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP)
is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and administered by the Undergraduate Research Center - Sciences.
Applications for 2017-2018 Are Now Open! Deadline: June 15th 2017. Apply Here.
The URSP Scholarship is awarded to Juniors and Seniors who have a strong commitment to research, and who are committed to completing an honors thesis or a comprehensive 199 project during their senior year.
For frequently asked questions, please click here.
- Junior level standing or higher (at least 6 quarters of university completed by Fall 2017)
- 3.25 GPA or higher
- Current Faculty Mentor and Research Project
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, international or AB540 student status
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units each quarter.
- Conduct research for THREE quarters (two of which must be part of a 199, 198 or 196 course) and complete a departmental honors thesis or comprehensive research project
- Present your findings at UCLA's Research Poster Day
- Write and submit a departmental honors thesis or comprehensive research paper
- Submit a summary of your work and a photo for an online profile
- Write a thank you note to the donor that supported your research
- All program participants must complete necessary lab training courses prior to beginning work in research labs. The "Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts" class is required for all students, volunteers, and staff in laboratories. Please see the EH&S training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
Junior Scholars receive an annual award of $3000.00 and Senior Scholars receive an annual award of $5000.00 obtained from foundations, industry, and individual donors. Junior Scholars are eligible to apply to be a URSP Senior Scholars during their senior year.
While financial need is not required, some of the awards will be for students with established financial need.