Undergraduate Research Fellows Program (URFP)
The Undergraduate Research Fellows Program (URFP) is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and administered by the Undergraduate Research Center-Sciences. The URFP scholarship supports students doing research for Winter and Spring quarters. URFP recipients can receive a scholarship of up to $2,000.
You must have a Faculty Mentor that is listed for SRP. Please CHECK FIRST. You can find this out by trying to create a contract for SRP and looking to see if the faculty is listed. If they are not in the SRP list you will need to submit a Faculty Participation form. Visit this link
for the form and instructions.
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or AB 540 student status.
- While financial need is not required, some awards are for students with established financial need.
If you are selected for URFP, your requirements are:
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units and Course 99 Student Research Program or 199/198/196 Departmental Research; winter and spring quarters.
- Enroll in HC 101A, the Student Research Forum Winter Quarter. Students already enrolled in HC101A for the upcoming Winter quarter will be given special consideration.
- Submit a brief summary of your research project at the end of Spring quarter, or present your research at Research Poster Day in May.
- All program participants must complete necessary lab training courses prior to beginning work in research labs. The "Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts" class is required for all students, volunteers, and staff in laboratories, and can be completed online at worksafe.ucla.edu.
The Application has two parts:
Research proposal (7000 characters limit including spaces)
Click here for the research proposal directions
Personal statement (3500 characters limit including spaces)
Click here for the personal statement directions
The application for the 2017 URFP Cohort is now CLOSED. The application for 2018 will be due November 15th, 2017.
Please note: If you have not completed the Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts course, you will need to complete the course no later than November 15th to be considered for the URFP scholarship. Following is the direct link to the course schedule and information on how to register: UCLA Worksafe
Proof of successful completion of Lab Safety training will be required before the start of the program.
If you have questions, please contact: