Student Research Program
UCLA's Student Research Program (SRP) assists undergraduates in obtaining research skills, in defining academic interests and objectives, and in becoming part of the larger university research community. SRP is designed as an entry-level experience, particularly suited to lower-division and first-quarter transfer students, and allows undergraduates early in their academic career to participate in research or engage in scholarly efforts under the direction of a faculty mentor.
SRP was founded in 1985, with 90 students and 150 faculty participating each quarter. To date, more than 10,000 students have participated in SRP. Approximately 80% of the students assist with research in the School of Medicine and in the Life and Physical Sciences, and approximately 20% in the Social Sciences, the Humanities, the School of the Arts, and the other Professional Schools.
SRP (Course 99)
Students receive one unit of credit for 3-5 hours of work per week or two units for 6 or more hours of work. Students in the College may take up to 10 units of SRP credit during their undergraduate career. Only 6 of those units will count towards graduation. Once a student has completed six units of SRP he/she may enroll in an additional 4 units without credit applied toward their degree. Each student can only submit one SRP contract per quarter.
For Summer 6-week sessions: 5-8 hours of work per week is the equivalent of 1 unit. For 2 units, 10-16 hours of work per week.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 units with full-time status, with the exception of Summer quarter.
- If enrolled in over 18 units (including SRP), you will need to submit a petition to your counseling unit to go over your unit max. This petition must be approved before your contract is submitted.
- Lab Safety Requirement: Contracts have been updated to make it easier to determine if a student needs to attach LSFC to the course contract. If required, students will see a new section below the faculty mentor information entitled “Safety Training” with a bolded statement that reads: “Proof of Completion of the Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts (LSFC) course is required for participation in research with this mentor.” Students who do not need to complete safety training will not have this statement appear. If required, students must attach Proof of Completion with their Course Contract upon submission.
- Please contact us if you have questions about eligibility requirements.
A student enrolls in SRP (Course 99) by submitting his/her signed SRP contract (available on MyUCLA)
to the Undergraduate Research Center by 5 pm on the Friday of second week for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer quarters.
Note: For Summer Sessions, students may only enroll in SRP units for one
session (6-weeek Session A, 10-week Session A or 6-week Session C). Deadlines for SRP contracts are 5 p.m. of second week for each session.
SRP (Course 99) is a P/NP course. At the end of the quarter, the faculty mentor certifies that the contract has been completed and submits a grade. Grades are submitted by the faculty mentor within the last week of the quarter after final exams. Students are no longer required to complete an evaluation at the end of the SRP course. Completing an evaluation form for the course is optional.
The student's transcript will read as follows:
Course 99 - Student Research
The number of units listed on the transcript is set by the SRP contract (see above) and the research area is selected by the student after conferring with the faculty mentor.
If you are interested in becoming a part of SRP, please attend one of the SRP orientation workshops
held early each quarter.
Please also visit the SRP Frequently Asked Questions
For more information and questions, please contact:
The URC-Sciences Office