An Undergraduate Research Summer Program in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
2018 SMC/UCLA SSRP Cohort
2015 SMC/UCLA SSRP Cohort
The Summer Scholars Research Program provides Santa Monica College transfer students a 9-week research opportunity in a lab, as well as enrichment workshops to assist in the transition to UCLA or another 4 year institution in the fall.
The program is offered through the Santa Monica College Science & Research Initiative, an academic support program designed to help traditionally underrepresented students interested in STEM careers successfully complete their studies at SMC, transfer to a baccalaureate program, and enter the STEM workforce.
During summer 2018, UCLA hosted 20 Summer Research Scholars!
The 2019 SMC SRI application is currently closed, and will open in November 2018.
Click here for details on the application process.
SMC students who are interested in a summer research experience in science, technology, engineering or mathematics are eligible to apply. Students will be paired with a UCLA faculty in their research area of interest.
In addition to working full time (40 hours a week) in the laboratory for 9 weeks, the program features:
- Weekly luncheons where students can meet and discuss science with invited faculty speakers and graduate students
- Workshops on such topics as how to be “transfer ready” for a 4 year institution, how to write an abstract, and how to give a research presentation
- Access to UCLA campus facilities
- Social events to network with other summer researchers
Upon receiving an Summer Scholars Award, students sign an agreement to fulfill the following requirements:
- To devote full effort in participation in the Summer Scholars Program. Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To participate fully in the life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend all required conferences, workshops, weekly luncheons and social events.
- To give a PowerPoint and poster presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To complete a pre and post-program survey.
- To complete all necessary lab training courses prior to beginning work in their research lab. UCLA students should have completed all required classes prior to applying. Please see the Environmental Health & Safety training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
- Students must be enrolled in the SRI program at SMC
- Completed Counseling 12 and 15 as well as Science 10 at SMC by the end of Spring 2019
- SMC Students who have applied to UCLA for fall of 2019 or who have applied to other four-year colleges and universities, but must also have applied to UCLA. If you are not yet ready to transfer to a 4 year college, but you have a strong interest in doing research and have completed the required courses, you may still be eligible.
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or students with work authorization cards. AB-540 students are also eligible but they cannot be compensated.
Summer Scholars are required to live in the dorms on campus and will receive compensation, as well as room and board, including breakfast. If you are unable to live in campus housing, please contact Dr. Bocanegra to talk about possible alternative arrangements.
For more information contact:
UCLA/ SMC SRI Program Representative
URC-Sciences, Program Representative