General Resources

The Undergraduate Research Centers were designed to help faculty as they work with undergraduates on research and creative activites. As Dean and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Judith L. Smith states "The opportunity to participate in cutting edge research and creative activity is one of the outstanding benefits of attending UCLA".

There are two Undergraduate Research Centers (URCs) at UCLA to help you:

  • URC-Sciences supports faculty in the life and physical sciences, medicine, engineering and mathematics departments. 2121 LSB.
  • URC-HASS supports faculty in the humanities, arts and social science departments. A334 Murphy Hall.

SRP Faculty Handbook: The SRP Faculty Mentor Handbook is a valuable resource for current SRP mentors as well as faculty interested in learning more about the SRP.

Posting positions: Currently the URC-Sciences office offers a template for you to fill out. Once completed, please send the form to our general office address and your position will be reviewed and posted. 

Safety: It is the Faculty mentor's responsibility to ensure that the student has completed all required safety trainings before the student begins work in a laboratory environment. The “Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts” class is required for all students, volunteers, and staff in laboratories. Please see the EH&S training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.

Minors If you have students who are minors working in your lab, please be sure to have their parents sign the official  Liability Waiver Form.

Patent Paperwork: We recommend that all undergraduates including volunteers and those participating in research for units to sign the Patent Acknowledgment Form for Undergraduate Researchers.

Scholarships: There are dozens of opportunities for undergraduate support administered by the Undergraduate Research Centers. For science students, please click on the "Research Scholarships and Programs" link on the left. The programs that accept the most students are Undergraduate Research Fellows and Undergraduate Research Scholars If you are interested in receiving a quarterly newsletter which summarizes upcoming deadlines for undergraduate research scholarships, email Dr. Tama Hasson ( and she will see that you get on the quarterly mailing list.

Undergraduate Research Travel Grants: Travel Grants are only awarded to undergraduates who have had an abstract accepted for a poster or paper presentation at a regional or national conference. Eligible undergraduates may receive up to $300 per academic year (July 1-June 30).

Bringing a non-UCLA undergraduate into your laboratory to do research. Dr. Hasson is the primary contact for information about registering your non-UCLA undergraduate student visitors. For more information, please visit the Visitor's Site.