Application for 2017-2018 will open October 2017
The application deadline for 2017-2018 is Oct. 23, 2017.
Formerly HHURP, the Integrated and Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Research Program (i2URP) offers junior UCLA students interested in pursuing a research career the opportunity to work closely with faculty on biomedical research topics during the summer and academic year.
i2URP is funded by the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP), which is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and the David Geffen School of Medicine
- Entering your junior year
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.5
- Have no more than 145 total units (not counting AP)
- Commitment to pursuing a research career.
- Complete necessary lab training courses prior to beginning work in research labs and/or receiving funding. The "Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts" class is required; please see the EH&S training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
Expectations for i2URP(if accepted)
- Participate (not enroll) in PhySci M171 in the fall of Year One.
- Enroll in PhySciM171 in winter and spring of Year One.
- Apply to URFP by the November deadline during Year One
- Conduct research as part of a 99 or 199 course for winter and spring quarters.
- Conduct research a minimum of 10-15 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week for ten weeks during the summer.
- Present your findings at Research Poster Day to be held in May.
- Participate in UCLA's Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) during the summer between Year One and Year Two in the i2URP and present a poster of research findings at the end of the summer.
- Apply to URSP by the June Deadline.
The application for the 2017-18 i2URP Cohort will open in October. It can be accessed on MyUCLA.
The application has six parts and can be completed in advance:
Applicant (4 parts):
- Online Application.
- 3 Short essays (compose on a word processing program and upload to the online application):
- Identify your academic and career goals and explain how participation in the i2URP will contribute to your achievement of these goals. (250 words or less)
- Describe your previous research experience. Please include the aims of the project and your specific role and contributions to it. We do not accept copies of previous research reports as part of the i2URP application. (500 words or less)
- Describe the research project you propose to pursue as a i2URP Student Researcher. (500 words or less)
- Academic Plan (download from the webpage, signed by your departmental counselor, scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Academic Plan Form. Hard copies will NOT be accepted.
- Laboratory Training Certification (email all your laboratory training compliance certificates to email@example.com). Hard copy forms will NOT be accepted.
Mentor (2 parts)
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR) form (download from the webpage, emailed by LOR writer to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Letter of Recommendation Form Hard copy forms will NOT be accepted.
- Letter of Recommendation from faculty research mentor (2 page maximum; emailed by LOR writer to email@example.com)
- Hard copy forms will NOT be accepted.
Due to the intensive nature of the program, i2URP participants should not have another job throughout the duration of the program, enroll in summer courses or participate in off-campus summer programs.