Integrated and Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Research Program (i2URP)
i2URP 2017-2018 End of Year Banquet - Junior Scholars, Senior Scholars, and Program Faculty
The Integrated and Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Research Program (i2URP) is an intensive, two-year program that prepares incoming juniors committed to pursuing a graduate degree for a career in research. Students work closely with program faculty on biomedical research topics during the academic year and summer while also conducting research with their own faculty mentor. Students apply as juniors and participate in the program through the end of their senior year.
i2URP is funded by the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP), which is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and the David Geffen School of Medicine.
Due to the intensive nature of this program, participants should not have an outside job for the duration of the program nor participate in any summer programs and classes.
- Applications open in October and are completed as a survey on MyUCLA
- Letters of Recommendation are emailed to email@example.com
2 Years/5 Academic Quarters & 1 Summer
- Year 1/Junior Year: Winter and Spring Quarters
- Year 2/Senior Year: Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters
- Must be a Junior in the Fall to apply
- 3.5 minimum GPA
- Must have less than 145 total units (not counting AP)
- Commitment to pursuing a graduate degree and research career.
- Complete Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts training (LSFC)
- Must attend (not enroll in) PhySci M171/Journal Club during Fall Quarter of Year 1
- Enroll in PhySci M171/Journal Club during Winter & Spring Quarters of Year 1 and Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters of Year 2
- Apply to URFP by the November deadline during Year 1
- Conduct research as part of a 99 or 199 course for Winter &Spring Quarters of Year 1 and Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters of Year 2
- Conduct research a minimum of 10-15 hours per week during the academic year
- Conduct research a minimum of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks during the summer
- Present your findings at Research Poster Day in May of Year 1 and Year 2
- Participate in UCLA's Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) during Summer and present a poster of your research findings at the SPUR poster session.
- Apply to URSP by the June Deadline of Year 1
- Juniors receive $1,000 during both Winter and Spring Quarters of Year 1
- Seniors receive $5,000 distributed equally throughout Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters of Year 2
The application has six parts and should be completed in advance:
For the applicant (4 parts):
- General Application
- Short Essays. Compose on a word processing program and upload file to online application.
- Identify your academic and career goals and explain how participating in i2URP will contribute to your achievement to those goals. 250 words maximum.
- Describe your previous research experience. Include the aims of the project and your specific role and contributions to it. Do not copy and paste previous research reports.500 words maximum.
- Describe the research project you propose to pursue as a i2URP student researcher. 500 word maximum.
- Academic Plan. Download the template HERE. Have your departmental counselor sign off on it, scan it, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Laboratory Training Certification. Email all of your laboratory training compliance certificates to email@example.com. Hard copies will not be accepted.
For Faculty (2 parts): 2 Letters of Recommendation are required for each application. One must be completed by your faculty mentor. The second must be completed by a faculty member who is not your mentor. Both the completed letter of recommendation form and the signed letter must be submitted by the recommender (not the applicant) to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 22, 2018. Hard copy forms will not be accepted. Applications without two letters of recommendation will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Letter of Recommendation Form. Download the Letter of Recommendation Form HERE. Instructions for completion are provided on the form.
- Signed Letter of Recommendation. 2 pages maximum. Instructions are provided on the Letter of Recommendation Form.