**PLEASE NOTE: The Bridges Summer Research Program (BriSURP) will not be held this Summer 2016. Continuation of the program in succeeding Summers will be contigent on NIH Funding ***
The UCLA Bridges Summer Undergraduate Research Program (BriSURP) was a paid, non-residential 8-week research summer experience at UCLA that provided transfer students with the laboratory skills necessary to begin their undergraduate research career. Bridges SURP 2015 begins June 8, 2015 and ends July 31, 2015. Applicants who apply to Bridges SURP should also have applied to transfer to UCLA the following Fall (2015) and other four year universities. Although it is highly recommended for applicants to transfer to UCLA following Bridges SURP, it is not a requirement. Priority is given to students transferring from Los Angeles Pierce College, Los Angeles Valley College and East Los Angeles College. BriSURP is funded by the National Institutes of Health.
BriSURP Application Requirements:
- Applicants must be a U.S Citizen/Permanent Resident:
- BriSURP Application
- Minimum GPA 3.4
- Unofficial transcript
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- 500-word Personal Statement describing your interest in research and any accomplishments that demonstrate your desire to pursue science
- 500-word (or less) Statement describing what experience made you realize that you wanted to be a science major in college?
If applying to transfer to UCLA you must complete the FAFSA Application and apply to the Transfer Summer Program ( TSP) during Summer Session C.
Additional supporting documents may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following in the subject line: "YOUR FULL NAME - BriSURP Supporting Docs"
- The first round of the application period is February 1st-March 1st at midnight.
- The second round application period will be April 20th - May 18th at midnight.
Priority will be given to those who are accepted into UCLA for Fall 2015 admission for the second round of applications.
If accepted into the program, BriSURP has the following program requirements:
1) Conduct research 40 hours/week for 8 weeks. This includes reading the scientific literature, designing and implementing experiments, analyzing data using statistical methods, and sharing your findings with your laboratory mentors;
2) Completion of UCLA Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts training;
3) Write a research proposal;
4) Participate in weekly professional development seminars;
5) Write an abstract and give an oral presentation on research findings at the end of the program;
6) If transferring to UCLA the following Fall quarter, then required participation in the residential Transfer Summer Program (TSP) during UCLA Summer Session C from August 3, 2015 to September 11, 2015;
7) If transferring to UCLA, submission of FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to UCLA for entire academic year;
8) Participate in BriSURP activities for the duration of your studies at UCLA.
Bridges Cohort 4, 2014-2015
- Swasty Chandra
- Abel Ferrel
- Ruben Galindo
- Tara Hallman
- Shadia Hamideh
- Roberto Naranjo
- Francisco Santana
Bridges Cohort 3, 2013-2014
- Luis Gonzalez
- Alberto Juarez
- Rachel Lopez
- Eduardo Martin
- Nancy Morones
- Kameni Ngahdeu
- Christian Suarez
- Jennifer Vela
Bridges Cohort 2, 2011-2012
- Sandy Alvarez
- Caroline Arellano-Garcia
- Ivan Flores
- Steve Guzman
- Walter Hardesty
- Noel Isaad
- Jessy Martinez
- Maria Pedraza
Bridges Cohort 1, 2010-2011
- Hoda Ahmed
- Noor Bala
- Autumn Emerson
- Jacqueline Graniel
- Jonathan Gonzalez
- Israel Jimemez
- Mark Anthony Johnson
- Kenny Robles
*Amount of space available for BriSURP Program is contingent on the availability of federal funds by the NIH
For any questions, please contact:
Dr. Diana Azurdia
URC-Sciences Assistant Director
2120 Life Sciences Building